CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

We All Scream for Raspberry Vanilla Almond Ice Cream!

My parents give some of the coolest gifts. This year, among many awesome presents they gave me for Christmas, they gave me an ice cream maker. It's the extension piece that attaches to my Kitchen Aid mixer. Thankfully, my husband also got me a new gym membership for a gift because this thing makes ice cream so stinkin easy to make that I'll be doing it all the time.

One of the things I like about Kitchen Aid mixer attachments is that they have recipes in the back of their instruction manuals. So I don't have to worry about trying to use a recipe not really intended for this piece on my first go around.

The recipe I chose from the back of the manual was for French Vanilla ice cream. I decided that I wanted to change it up a little (we're not a "vanilla" kinda family) . Instead of adding as much vanilla extract as it calls for, I added some raspberry extract as well. I also added a tiny bit of food coloring and almonds that I crushed up. It was amazing. I was surprised at how much this ends up yielding but at the same time, I'm thrilled. I've got a huge container of ice cream in my freezer right now!

Ok, first things first, the bowl has to be frozen for at least 15 hours. I didn't realize this and was a little bummed when I went to make the ice cream and realized I couldn't until the next day. Whatever. Now I know and the bowl stays in the freezer waiting to be filled with creamy deliciousness.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups of half and half
8 egg yolks
1 cup of sugar
2 1/2 cups of whipping cream
3 tsp vanilla
2 tsp raspberry
3 drops of red food dye
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 cup of crushed almonds (more would be fine, I just didn't feel like cracking any more)

Directions (and I'm loosely quoting this from my Kitchen Aid manual):

1) In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the half and half until very hot but not boiling. Stir often.

2) Place egg yolks and sugar in mixer bowl. Stir at low speed (on speed 2 for Kitchen Aid mixers) for about 30 seconds. Gradually add heated half and half till blended and thicker.

3) Once blended, return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium heat but not boiling, stirring constantly (seriously, constantly... it'll burn... trust me...)

4) Transfer heated mixture to bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix together.

5) Cover and chill at least 8 hours.

6) Assemble ice cream bowl and mixing paddles. Pour in ice cream mix and turn on to a low speed for 15-20 minutes or until it's reached the desired consistency.

7) EAT!!!

Oh man. SO GOOD!!! I have to say that home made ice cream like this has ruined me. It's so much creamier than any ice cream I've ever gotten at the store. It's amazing. And I think I'm going to go grab a bowl now. I like that with this recipe though, you can add pretty much whatever you want. You can change up the extracts or add cookies or other kinds of nuts. I'm looking forward to trying some of the sorbet recipes in the back of the manual though. I LOVE any kind of desert made with fresh fruit!

If you don't have one and you can afford to buy one, get an ice cream maker attachment for your mixer. It'll be a great investment, especially if you have kids!



0 comments:

Post a Comment