CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pesto Chicken with Home Made Light Wheat Fettuccine

One of the other amazing gifts my parents got me for Christmas was the pasta roller/cutter attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer. I think they know I like to cook :) I was SO excited about this one, especially since my husband is a total pasta lover. I like to make my husband foods that he loves. Seeing him happy makes me happy.

My first attempt was a little shaky. I've never seen any one make pasta before other than Gordon Ramsay on Hell's Kitchen. That man makes anything concerning food look as easy as tying your shoes. But I learned what to improve on and made some pretty tasty pasta in the meantime.

Using the recipe from the Kitchen Aid pasta cutter manual:

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup bread flour
4 large eggs
2 tbs water
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:

1) Place flours, eggs, water and salt in mixer bowl. Mix for about 3 seconds.

2) Now using a dough hook, knead dough for about 2 minutes.

3) Remove from bowl and hand knead dough for about 2 minutes.

4) Divide into eight pieces, role with the dough roller attachment and then use what ever pasta cutter attachment you desire.

5) Cook pasta in boiling water until noodles are tender (took me about 5 minutes).


I'll make the pasta thinner next time but I was amazed, after I figured it all out, how easy it is to make your own pasta.

While the pasta was mixing, kneading and cooking, I made my pesto (basil, butter, garlic, almonds, Parmesan cheese and a dash of olive oil together), which for whatever reason didn't get as smooth as usual but I actually liked it "chunky". I browned some butter in a pan, threw in a chicken breast, seasoned it with salt and pepper and cooked.

I topped the pasta with the chicken and pesto. It was DELICIOUS! So simple and for the most part, fairly healthy. I was concerned about the kids eating the pasta. They like strange things and this wasn't strange but to my delight, they loved it. Score!







0 comments:

Post a Comment