CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Home Made Soft Pretzels and Cinnamon Pretzel Bites

Holy Cow! I have been craving soft pretzels so bad lately that I just decided to make them myself. I'm so glad I did. TOTALLY satisfied my craving. And not as difficult as I expected them to be. I made a batch of large salted soft pretzels and then a small batch of cinnamon pretzel bites with a cream cheese sauce drizzled on top. Met my standards AND the kids'. Any day that I can make something I like that the kids will eat too is a good day. Today was fantastic!





Ingredients:

2 packs of 1.4 0z rapid active yeast
1/2 cup of brown sugar
2 cups warm water
4 1/2 cups of bread flour
2 cups of all purpose flour (I ran out of bread flour so you can just use 6 1/2 of that if you want)
1 tablespoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter
1/4 cup baking soda
1/2 cup of beer
8 cups of water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, beaten
sea salt to taste


 Instructions:

1) Combine yeast, warm water and brown sugar in a bowl. Mix together and let sit until mixture becomes foam like. Should take anywhere from 5-10 minutes.

2) In a bowl that you will use for a mixer that has a dough hook, mix together the flour and salt. Then add the butter in chunks and mix with your hands. Mix until it is grainy.

3) Add the yeast mixture to the flour and mix with your hands until all the liquid is absorbed.

4) With a dough hook attachment on your mixer, mix the dough until it is smooth and whole.













5) Cover the dough with plastic wrap and set in the fridge to cool for at least 2 hours.

6) After the two hours is up, preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

7) In a large pot. combine 8 cups of water, beer, sugar and baking soda. Bring to a boil.

8) Taking the dough that's been chilling, roll it out and cut into strips about a foot long. Take those strips and continue to roll them out until they're about 16 inches long.

9) With the dough strip, shape them in a U, wrap the ends together and then pull them down into the U to make the pretzel shape. Place the pretzel onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.

10) Take each individual pretzel and place it one at a time into the boiling pot. Pull it out once it starts to float. This should take about 20 to 30 seconds depending on the size of your pretzel.

11) Brush the pretzels with the beaten egg and then salt.

12) Bake your pretzels. Make sure not to have the rack too high as they will burn really quickly. They should bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.








For the Pretzel Bites, just take one of those 16 inch strips and cut it into 1 1/2 inch chunks. Go through the same "boiling" process and egg wash process. Instead of salting, I made a mix of cinnamon and sugar (1/2 tsp cinnamon, 2 tbs granulated sugar). Bake at the same temperature. These took much less time but I didn't pay attention to that part. Sorry. Just make sure that they don't over cook.

For the Cream Cheese Sauce for the Bites, I took 3 tablespoons of regular cream cheese, added 2 tablespoons of confectioner sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk and heated until the mixture was smooth and thin. I then put the sauce into a plastic sandwich bag, cut off the tip and drizzled on top of the Pretzel Bites. Simple as that.




I served the pretzels with a nacho cheese sauce and a spicy brown mustard. I preferred the mustard while the kids enjoyed the cheese sauce. The pretzels tasted just like the kind you can get at the mall or fair. They completely satisfied my jonesing. SO yummy and not hard at all.

2 comments:

TyKes Mom

I love love love soft pretzels! Whenever I walk past that shop in the mall, I always cave and have to buy some. I just made some at home recently, but this recipe looks much easier and tastier! I'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing! :-)

Roxi Santiago

Oh my goodness! Thank you for sharing this! I've been craving pretzels since... well since forever! Yum this made me crave again. :D

Post a Comment