CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, September 2, 2011

Waste Not, Want Not: Banana Bread

I hate throwing food away. Having little kids, food gets wasted all the time. I'll buy something that they beg me for, they'll take two bites of it and never finish it. I bought bananas at the pleading of my two year old. He ate two before he decided that he didn't like them any more... again...

What's to be done with rapidly ripening bananas? BANANA BREAD!!! I love warm, home made banana bread. There's something about the way it smells and tastes that uplifts the soul and makes a person feel warm and happy inside. I love it.

I got my recipe out of the Betty Crocker Cookbook: Heart Healthy Edition and tweeked it just a little bit. I like how I make it best.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan.

Betty Crocker has steps to mixing and melting and all that jazz but I honestly just throw it into my kitchen aid mixer and turn it on. Turns out just fine in my oppinion.

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups of granulated sugar
1/2 cup of softened butter
2 eggs
4 very ripe bananas (Betty uses 3 but I like my banana flavor a little stronger and adding the extra one helps make the bread a little moister as well)
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1 cup of whole wheat flour (Betty uses 2 1/2 cups of all purpose only but I like to add the whole wheat)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup of chopped walnuts

Throw it in the oven and bake it for about an hour. Betty says to let it cool for about 2 hours but I like to serve mine right away when its hot and you can melt butter on it.

My mouth is watering right now just typing this.

I'm seriously considering going to the kitchen and eating a slice right now.






1 comments:

Tina

By the time banana bread is done baking your house is smelling delicious-that makes it very hard to wait the cooling time to eat. I will need to try using whole wheat flour next time I make this. thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment