CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Croutons (and Basil Bread Part 2)

Tonight was my husband and my 4 year anniversary. Since getting a babysitter for three kids on a weekday night is not high on our financial priority list, we stayed home to celebrate. I cooked dinner for him, which he thanked me greatly for. I cooked him rib eye steaks with Bearnaise sauce, twice baked potatoes, sauteed mushrooms, corn on the cob and salad. As an appetizer, I made the basil bread again, keeping a close eye on it this time to prevent burning.




I made the basil bread same as before. This time though, I just broiled it right off the bat instead of baking it for a while first. Turned out fantastic. Each flavor was nice and strong and wasn't over powered by the burnt flavor.

The salad was normal. Romaine lettuce, diced tomatoes, carrots, chives and home made croutons. I cut up some French bread (can you tell that I like French bread?) and drizzled olive oil on it and then sprinkled it with garlic salt and a mix of oregano, basil, thyme, and garlic. Then I baked them for just a few minutes at 350 degrees. I love the golden color of croutons but many times they're so hard that its like trying to eat little rocks.

My favorite part of the whole meal though was the mushrooms. I wish I'd made a ton more of them. I'm pretty sure I could have eaten only the mushrooms and been just fine. I melted two tablespoons of butter, threw in two cloves of hand grated garlic and let them blend a little before I threw in the baby portobello mushrooms. I am not sure how many mushrooms I used since they were already sliced but it was about 4 handfuls. SO good! I cooked them over really low heat for probably close to 20 minutes. I can't wait to make more.


 


All in all, it was a great anniversary dinner. I was pretty happy and I think the hubby was too. If he wasn't making funny faces or sitting really quiet, cutting really slow or feeding it to the dogs, I'm safe :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment