CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, September 9, 2011

Baked French "Fries"

We buy just about all of our groceries in bulk and potatoes are one of our regular items. I'm constantly trying to do new things with them since they go bad surprisingly quickly.

One of my favorite things to make with them are baked french fries. Its always healthier to bake something rather than deep fry it for the obvious reasons. Tons of grease is the last thing I feel like feeding to my two year old who's diapers I'm still changing. Baked doesn't mean that they have to have less "flavor" though. You can do just about anything you want with these.

For a family of two adults and two small kids, for healthy portions, I use three large potatoes.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

I skin the potatoes and cut them into fries. You can use a knife or you can use a tool like the one I use. I have this great Kitchen Aid device that has changeable "settings". I can cut larger fries or smaller ones (I did the smaller this time) or core/slice an apple. Its great and its small and its not electric. I'll have to take a picture of it and post it. I would now but I think it got packed up today.

I then soak the "fries" in water (completely submerging the potatoes) with about a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of granulated sugar for about 15 minutes.

After draining them, I pat them dry and put them back into a bowl.

From here, you season them. You can use just about anything you want. I know some people who use garlic salt or even chipolte seasoning but I used sea salt, fresh ground pepper and paprika. Put your seasoning on the potatoes in the bowl (I do all of mine to taste) and add about 1 1/2 table spoons of oil. Mix it all together until fries are coated.

Put them, single layer onto an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes or until they're cooked and golden.

After they're "fresh out of the oven", sprinkle a little more salt on them to taste. Doing it when they're nice and hot will help the salt stick.

Serve.

My whole family loves these fries and I don't have to deal with the mess of frying them. They're healthier and pretty darn tasty.

0 comments:

Post a Comment