CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pork Chops "Au Poivre"

So I learned a lot exploring the culinary world today using the gigantic textbook my sister gave me. I learned what deglaze means (using the juices and leftover pieces remaining in the pan after you cook something as the base for a stock or sauce) and I learned what "au poivre" means. Au Poivre is French and refers to dishes with a lot of pepper on them such as pepper steak. The recipe I used called for pork though. It was an interesting dish that gave me a ton of ideas for future creations of my own. With the pork, I served broccoli (which I will admit was frozen) and farfalle pasta (bow tie noodles) with a garlic butter and french bread I made with the bread maker. I didn't have certain ingredients that the pork recipe called for so I had to improvise.






Ingredients:

Pork tenderloin, 2 oz medallions: 12 (I used 4 thin pork chops)

Kosher salt 2 tsp

Green Peppercorns, crushed 2 fl. oz ( I didn't have green peppercorns so I used black and I only used about 3 tablespoons as I was feeding this dish to children who probably wouldn't have been able to handle all that pepper)

Olive Oil  2 fl. oz

White Wine 2 fl. oz

Champagne Vinegar 1 fl oz ( I used white wine vinegar since I didn't have any champagne vinegar, however, I am going to try this dish again with the proper vinegar because I love champagne and am interested in seeing how differently the sauce tastes with the right vinegar)

Heavy Cream 4 fl oz

Salt and Pepper TT

Instructions:

Flatten the medallions with the palm of your hand and press both sides into the salt and peppercorns.

Heat the Olive Oil in a saute pan. Add the medallions and saute until brown on both sides.

Remove the medallions and keep warm.

Deglaze the pan with the wine and vinegar. Reduce until only a few tablespoons remain.

Add the cream and reduce to the desired consistency. (I will try to make mine a bit thicker next time).

Serve the medallions with the sauce on top.


 



Like I said, I didn't follow the recipe exactly but it was still delicious. I think it would taste great on chicken as well or even with some garlic in the sauce, it would taste amazing over pasta. Maybe with some mushrooms too. MMM.... the possibilities are endless!

The dressing for the noodles was 3 tbs butter melted in a pan with a chopped garlic clove, parsley and a splash of white wine. 


1 comments:

nhrose76

Looks great Sweetie. Dad will want to try this.

Post a Comment