CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 19, 2011

My first attempt at Spanish Tortilla


I like simple. Simple can be better than anything intricate or complicated. Not always, but a good bit of the time. Like Tortilla.

Most of my husband's heritage is Spanish. On our first date, he took me to an amazing Spanish restaurant in DC called Jaleo. The atmosphere was almost magical to me. The food... well, the menu was in Spanish and I didn't know a word of it but didn't want to embarrass myself in front of him so I ordered a seafood dish. Turns out, the plate I asked for had every fish in the deep blue on it. Or at least it seemed. I choked most of it down, now knowing what any of it was. Half of them still had eyes. Not at all what I was expecting. Later that evening, he took me to another Spanish restaurant called Bambule which has become our go-to place for special moments. We have spent our first date, anniversaries, birthdays and even our wedding night here. We always order as an appetizer, their tortilla. This one only has potatoes in it but its cooked beautifully and is served with this amazing dip/spread/sauce. I wish I knew what it was so I could try to make it.

My husband has been begging me to try to cook some tortilla. So today, since my two oldest were in school and my baby was sleeping, I decided to give it a try. It doesn't look very pretty but it was my first time and flipping it was no easy fete for me. It tasted delicious though and I got my husband's stamp of approval. I am looking forward to perfecting it though and next time making one with some mushrooms and spinach.

SPANISH TORTILLA:

1/2 cup Spanish Olive Oil
1 lb 5 oz potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (I cubed mine since that's how it was done at Bambule)
6 large eggs
2 small links of Chorizo
salt
pepper

Heat a nonstick 10 inch skillet over high heat. Add the olive oil and heat. Reduce the heat, then add the potatoes and cook until the potatoes are tender.
Beat the eggs in a large bowl and season generously with salt and pepper. Drain the potatoes out of the oil but save the oil for later use.
Stir the potatoes and chopped Chorizo into the eggs and let them sit for about 10 minutes in the bowl.
Remove any crust from the skillet and reheat 4 tbs of the reserved oil in the skillet.
Add the egg mixture and smooth the surface, spreading out the potatoes and chorizo and pressing it down to make an even layer.
Cook for about 5 minutes, gently shaking the skillet occasionally to keep the base loose but also to make sure its cooked.
Use the spatula to loosen the tortilla and very gently slide it onto a plate, with out messing up the tortilla.
Then, gently flip the tortilla back into the skillet, cooked side up, uncooked side down on the the skillet surface.
Continue to cook for roughly 2 to 3 minutes.
Slide the tortilla onto a clean plate and let it cool before serving.





My tortilla didn't look gorgeous and since it was my first time making it, I didn't put in as many potatoes as I should have as I was not entirely sure if it would end up being too much. I ended up using only 2 potatoes but next time I will use 3 and will use the entire 2 links of chorizo instead of only 1 1/2. Tortilla should have a little bit of height to it, not looking so flat as mine. But it was still delicious. And really, you can put what ever you want in it. Like I said, spinach and mushrooms and probably onions too with the potatoes will be in my next one :)









0 comments:

Post a Comment