CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 22, 2011

Exploring Staple Comfort Foods

So, the hubby and my two girls have had colds. My son and I have been healthy but I'm quickly getting worn out trying to take care of everyone (taking care of three sick people with one healthy hyper one going 100 miles an hour really does take a lot out of you).

I needed to cook some things that were comforting but that had some healthy ingredients for everyone. For lunch, I made a BLT for my husband and for dinner, I made home made chicken noodles soup for all.

The BLT was delicious (of course I had to make one for myself too!). I used french bread that I made last night for the sandwich part which really made a world of difference. I spread a little mayo on the bread and added the BLT. The hubs loved it and thanked me over and over.

Dinner was quick and easy. I've made chicken noodle soup a hundred times but never pulled it off quite right, until tonight. All of the listed ingredients are to taste. Chicken noodle soup is fairly easy... or should be...

Ingredients:

Chicken, cooked and seasoned (ground coriander, pepper, garlic salt, celery salt)

Egg noodles

Swanson Chicken Broth

celery, chopped

baby carrots, thinly sliced

onion, chopped

parsley

seasoning (pepper, sea salt, celery salt)


Instructions:

I'm just going to explain how I did it. First, since I used baby carrots and for whatever reason, they can take a long time to cook, I sliced them thin and boiled them in some chicken broth while I was cooking and prepping everything else. I hate undercooked carrots like a horse hates snakes. Next I heated some olive oil in a pan and cooked my seasoned chicken strips. While the chicken was cooking, I prepped my other veggies. When the chicken was done, I chopped it up and threw it and the other veggies in with the carrots, while the pasta cooked. When the pasta was done, I threw everything in one pot and added more chicken broth and more seasoning to taste. I served it with saltine crackers. I ended up putting quite a bit of pepper in it and it had a tiny bite to it. I thought it made it better and so did my husband. The kids ate all of theirs so I assume they liked it too.

 Staple comfort foods, such as sandwiches and soup can be simple, easy and delicious. Also helps lift the soul a little.

0 comments:

Post a Comment