CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 29, 2011

Enjoying the Fruits of my Labor

I promised a post on using my home grown basil for the first time.

May I just say that I'm pretty sure that basil is my new favorite aroma! I love the way it smells. The plant itself smells good but the fresh cut leaves... Oh man. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.












I decided to make some little bread bites for an appetizer while I was cooking the main meal. I took half a french bread roll and cut it into slices. I then put a little bit of olive oil on them, then a fresh cut basil leaf. On top of that, I drizzled some balsamic vinegar and then topped it all off with some shredded mozzarella cheese. I put it in the oven at 350 degrees. It looked good and smelled amazing until I decided to broil it very shortly to get the cheese to brown a little. I had every intention to keep an eye on it. But life throws distractions, such as 2 preschool age kids and a baby. I forgot about the bread and left it in a little too long. It still tasted pretty good but the flavors would have been more distinguished had the bread not burned around the edges. Oh well. There's always next time.









I did make another kind of bread to go with the main course. I took the other half of the french bread roll and halved it. I melted 2 tablespoons of butter and then mixed in tarragon, garlic salt and parsley. I then spread it over the bread and baked it. The sweetness of the tarragon combined with the garlic and the richness of the butter made for an interesting twist on garlic bread. The kids weren't too fond of it but the hubs and I enjoyed it very much.
 





I will have to try the "basil bread" again and post better, yummier pictures. I never said that every day would consist of successful explorations. I just said it was my goal to explore. I've found that the flavor of "burnt" over powers everything else ;)

1 comments:

Melisse

I went out and bought basil last weekend just because of this post. I forgot how much I love it! :D

Post a Comment