CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Cooking: My Uncharted Territory

As I write this, I am sitting at my desk in my cluttered home office, drinking a glass of Arbor Mist White Pear Pinot Grigio and nibbling on a slice of Cherry Cheese Danish from the Publix bakery. Please do not judge my taste or abilities on what I am presently enjoying. I personally think that even the most skilled, polished pallets sometimes indulge in seemingly dilettante cuisines. I'm not saying that I possess a dignified pallet but that's what this is all about.

I have recently come to terms with the fact that I know nothing about cooking what so ever. I burn easy mac, until recently, I can't bake cookies, and I have a vague idea of what it means to reduce something. I have no idea what most things taste like and if you asked me to sample something and name the ingredients, I doubt I could even identify salt. Well, maybe salt but not much beyond that. Its a crying shame.

Food has got to be one of the most enjoyable forms of art. You can use all of your senses to appreciate it. Sight, smell, taste, touch, sound. All of it. I have, of late, had some kind of hidden desire awakened in me to create culinary art. I want to make meals and dishes that I can enjoy and that will please others and warm their souls. I want to build savory masterpieces that bring people together in an atmosphere of love and happiness. I don't care if its cooking an every day meal for my family of 5 or if its making a dish for my neighbor who just had a baby or cooking a holiday meal for my loved ones.

With this blog, I plan to learn, explore, create, investigate, experiment and grow. I plan to learn from cooking technique books, recipe books, chefs, TV, other bloggers and any one/thing that happens to cross my path that sparks some inspiration. I aim to learn how to execute different techniques, be able to accurately identify different spices and ingredients, and to learn how to skillfully prepare meals that are healthy and delicious.

I am slightly nervous about this challenge. I have 3 children, the oldest of which is 3. I have a husband. I have 3 dogs. I am not good with time management and due to various demanding factors, get worn out mentally, emotionally and physically fairly quickly. I also don't want to end up gaining a ton of weight while on this creative adventure. Working out on top of it is going to be interesting. This is going to be a full on expedition. I am told though that if there is a will, there is a way. I have the will and the determination so here we go.

Join me on my trek through this uncharted territory of mine. Explore with me. Come along for the ride. And wear your helmet because this could be a very bumpy ride :)

1 comments:

Tina

No matter how long someone has been blogging-it is a constant learning process. I am sure you will have your ups and downs like any blogger, but as a whole it will be a fun journey because the food blogging community is such a wonderful and diverse group of people.

Post a Comment